Understanding the rules

Understanding the rules will make you feel more at ease

When you become unemployed a lot of questions will naturally run through your head; How will I make ends meet financially? Where will I find the next job? How will I figure out all the rules?

Therefore we have collected all the rules you need to know when you are unemployed. We are your guide and if you have any doubts or questions – please do not hesitate to call or write us.

The first thing you did was

to register as unemployed. If you have not done it yet you need to go to jobnet.dk and do it today

Are you new graduate?

If you have already changed your membership status from student member to new graduate, you do not need to read anymore here, but can move on to the guide.

If you have not yet changed your membership, here is some important information:

No later than 14 days after you have received your last grade, you have to fill in the form Skift medlemsstatus fra studerende til nyuddannet (you find the form on our selfservice Mit AKA). Thus you ensure your rights to unemployment benefits.

If you have not been a student member, the same 14-day rule applies to ensure your rights to unemployment benefits, but instead you have to fill in the form Bliv medlem af Akademikernes A-kasse (you find the form on the frontpage of aka.dk).

Afterwards go to jobnet.dk 

and create a CV as soon as possible. To receive unemployment benefits you must register your CV at jobnet.dk and have it approved by us within 2 weeks of your unemployment. You get a message from us when your CV has been approved.

Requirements for your CV at jobnet.dk

To have your CV approved it is important that you describe:

  • Which jobs you are applying for
  • Your qualifications
  • Your previous jobs
  • Your education
  • Your contact information. As a minimum your postal code and your phone number so employers can see where you live and are able to contact you.

How to get unemployment benefits

On your way to your new job, unemployment benefits gives you financial security. This is important in order to stay focused on job hunting. Learn more about how to get unemployment benefits here.

To receive benefits from us fill in the form Ledighedserklæring.

Also at the end of each month you need to fill in the Ydelseskort in order to have the benefits paid out.

The Ledighedserklæring 

is your application for unemployment benefits. You can find it on the website under “blanketter” and ”ledig” on our selfservice ”Mit AKA”. 

You will receive a letter from us when we have approved your right to benefits. 

The Ydelseskort

At the end of each month you should log on to Mit AKA and fill in the benefit card (ydelseskortet) in order to receive your unemployment benefits. You use the benefit card to let us know if you have had any work, sickness or vacation.

Later in this guide you can read more about the rules for registration of sickness and vacation.

You can fill in the benefit card 1 week before the last day of the month. If you do this, the money will be in your account on the last banking day of the month.

The benefit card must be filled in 1 month and 10 days after the last day at the month relating to the payment. For example the deadline for sending in the benefit card for July is the 10th of September. 

Dagpengetællere - Follow the use of unemployment benefits

1 month of benefits equals 160,33 hours. You can get unemployment benefits for 2 years, which is 3.848 hours, within 3 years. 

At Mit AKA you can follow the use of benefits under the section ”Dagpengetællere”. This is also where you can see how many hours you have worked during the time you have received benefits. 

How to avoid waiting days where you do not receive benefits

Every 4th month as unemployed there is a waiting day. This is a day for which you do not receive benefits. You avoid the waiting day if you work more than 148 hours within that 4-month period.

At aka.dk under “Dagpengetællere” you can see how many work hours you still need to avoid the waiting day. 


When you are receiving benefits you are required to be available for the job market. This means that you are obliged to actively apply for jobs and accept relevant jobs that you are offered.

Availability for work – what does it mean?

The concept of availability is central to your eligibility for unemployment benefits. It means that:

  • From the first day you become unemployed, you are required to seek work that you can perform – both inside and outside your profession – by answering job advertisements, submitting unsolicited applications and using networks.
  • You are obliged to accept jobs referred by Akademikernes A-kasse or your job centre at a day’s notice. It is therefore important that you check your daily post and that you live and are present in Denmark.
  • As a full-time insured member you must be willing and able to work 37 hours a week on normal pay and employment conditions.
  • Part-time members must be available for up to 30 hours’ work a week.
  • You must be prepared to apply for and accept work entailing up to a total of 4 hours’ travel per day by public transport
  • If you work reduced hours and receive supplementary unemployment benefits, you must still apply for full-time work.
  • That you have childcare for your children. If you do not have childcare outside the opening hours of the day-care, you must inform the job centre. If you fail to inform the job centre, the job centre can refer you to a job or a work activity outside the opening hours of the day-care. If you reject a job or an offer of activation due to childcare problems, and you have not previously informed the job centre about this, you risk receiving 3 weeks of quarantine.

Besides from this there are some requirements relating to your job search and your participation in meetings, which you can read more about later in this guide. 

Checklist for your job search

If you are full-time insured you have to apply for full-time jobs, whereas part-time insured have to apply for jobs with a minimum of 30 hours per week.

You have to do serious and realistic job search, i.e. apply for any kind of job that you can hold. In case there are not enough jobs to apply for within your field that match your competences and experience you need to extend your search to other professions and expand it geographically.

Our requirements with regards to your job search:

  • You have to apply for 1-2 jobs weekly, so that it makes up a minimum of 6 jobs in total in the course of 4 weeks
  • These six jobs have to be jobs in Denmark
  • At least 3 out of 6 jobs have to be full-time jobs
  • After 3 months´ unemployment at least 3 out of 6 jobs applied for have to be solicited ones

As unemployed, you need to register all the jobs you have applied for in Jobloggen at Mit AKA. The following count as job search:

  • Solicited job search 
  • Unsolicited job search
  • Networking or contacting a person with hiring competence

When you get a job 

When you get a job please notify your job centre. Six weeks prior to your job starting date, the job center can register that you have found a job which means that you become part of a less intensive job search program.

This means until your first day of work you no longer have to:

  • attend meetings at the job centre and Akademikernes A-kasse
  • apply for jobs.

However you are obliged to take relevant job, that the job centre considers you are able to maintain in the period before starting job.

Remember once every week

Update the Joblog at aka.dk

You must update Joblog at least once a week. This is where you must register all your job hunting activities, to show that you are actively looking for a job. We will send you a reminder if Joblog does not show that you fulfil these requirements. If you do not fulfil the requirements, we will assess that you are not available for employment, and you will not be entitled to unemployment benefits.

Please note that you receive unemployment benefits on public holidyas that fall on weekdays. Therefore, you should also be active in your job search on these holidyas, unless you have registered your holiday at jobnet.dk.


Your job centre can send you in job activation when they find it necessary. They are obligated to do so at the latest when you have been unemployed for 6 months. 

Activation can consist of various types of training, upgrading of skills, practical experience or wage subsidy jobs with public and private employers.

When attending a mandatory work activity scheme, you must still be actively seeking work and be available for work. You may be exempted from this obligation by agreement with your job centre. 


If you terminate your employment, you will receive quarantine for 111 hours (equaling 3 weeks) without unemployment benefits. This applies regardless of whether the work is full-time or part-time.

The quarantine rules also apply if you say no to a job referral or if you reject or cut short an activation offer agreed with your job centre/other party without valid reason.

If you are quarantined twice in the course of 12 months or if you are not available for the labour market, you will forfeit all entitlement to unemployment benefits. You will only regain entitlement to unemployment benefits when you have worked more than 300 hours in a continuous 3-month period. The work must have been performed on normal pay and employment conditions. 


When you are unemployed, you must attend regular meetings at both the job centre and Akademikernes A-kasse.

Some of the meetings are mandatory and you will receive a message from either us or the job centre, when it is time for you to book a meeting. You will get a deadline for booking the meeting.If you do not book the meeting within the deadline, you will be deregistered as unemployed at jobnet.dk (At jobnet.dk you can sign up for text and email notifications regarding the jobcenter’s booking deadlines).

You cannot receive unemployment benefits for those days you have been deregistered, so in that case you must register again as soon as possible. You can of course always call us if you are having problems booking a meeting. Note that the first meeting with us and the first meeting at the job centre will be booked for you. You will receive information about these meetings shortly after you have registered as unemployed on jobnet.dk

You can also book a career meeting - just log onto aka.dk. This is also where you can book workshops and events. 

Notify the job centre of holiday plans and sickness

You must notify your job centre at jobnet.dk if you are sick or planning a holiday. You do not need to inform us because we are automatically informed by the job centre.

Notify the job centre the same day you become sick. If you are planning a vacation, notify the job centre at least 14 days in advance. 


The first 14 days of a period with sickness you receive benefits from us. It is important that you register as sick at jobnet.dk on your first sick day.

When you have notified the job centre about your sickness you do not need to attend meetings with us or the job centre.

Please register at jobnet.dk the first day you are well again. 

If you are sick for more than 14 days you will receive sickness benefits from your local municipality. We automatically notify the municipality about this. 


You must notify at jobnet.dk 14 days in advance if you are planning a vacation. This is also the case if you are in any form of activation.

If you notify the job centre within this deadline you will not be called in to attend meetings during your vacation.

If you have earned vacation benefits from us you can apply for them at “Mit AKA”.

Possibilities and approvals 

There are several options for you to be active and get experience added to your CV when you are unemployed. You can do voluntary work, work reduced hours, apply for jobs abroad, attend courses or have a self-employed sideline occupation. But there are rules and regulations that you need to understand and you always need an official permission from us before you start any of these activities.

Possibilities and approvals 

You can work reduced hours

You can go abroad and search for job

You can attend courses and get education

You can have a self-employed sideline occupation

You can do voluntary work

You can work reduced hours

If you work reduced hours, you can receive supplementary unemployment benefits for 30 weeks. You must complete a form concerning your job so that we can assess what importance your part-time job has for your unemployment benefits. You can find the form at 'Mit AKA'.

If you are in a permanent employment with a notice period, you must have a release certificate “Frigørelsesattest” to be eligible for supplementary unemployment benefits. The release certificate ensures that you can stop from one day to the next if you find work with longer working hours.

The release certificate must be received by Akademikernes A-kasse no later than 5 weeks after you became employed (it is the date on your contract which counts - not the date you start working). 

You can go abroad and search for job

If you wish to seek work in the European Economic Area (EEA), you can receive your unemployment benefits abroad for up to 3 months. Contact Akademikernes A-kasse for further details.

Employment interviews abroad
If you have to go abroad for an interview, you can receive unemployment benefits for 5 days while you are away. You must notify us and your job centre of the period you will be abroad for interview. 

You can attend courses and get education

You can attend certain types of education and courses while you are claiming unemployment benefits. This requires that you or the job centre can pay for the education and that we can give you permission to attend the course. Always get an approval from us before you start any form of education or course.

As a basic rule it applies that the course can be of maximum 19 hours per week. The course must not be part of a full-time education that gives the right to apply for SU.

Your job centre or other party can inform you about the possibilities and offers they have for you.

You can have a self-employed sideline occupation

 If you have a self-employed business as a sideline occupation you can – as a rule – receive supplementary unemployment benefits for 30 weeks. You can apply for a permit to have a sideline occupation by filling in a form at Mit AKA.

You can work as many hours as you like in your business and your working hours can be placed at any time of the day. However, you must be available for the job market for a full-time job and you must not be contractually committed to do work as self-employed during the daytime.

You can do voluntary work

You can work as a volunteer for up to 44 hours per month in social – and humanitarian organizations, without any deductions to your unemployment benefits.

If you wish to work as a volunteer or if you already do voluntary work we have to give you an official permission. You can apply for this by filling in the relevant form at 'Mit AKA'. 

Thank you for your time

Close this window to finish 

Just become unemployed

Just become unemployed

How to get unemployment benefits

How to get unemployment benefits

How to get unemployment benefits

Be available 

Be available 

Be available 

Be available 

Be available 


Notify of sickness and holiday plans

Possibilities and approvals 

Possibilities and approvals 

The end

The end